modems

Marr marr@shianet.org
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:47:19 -0400

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Marr <marr@shianet.org> writes:
>
> > Ben Pfaff wrote:

> > > (At least some of) the ones that implement the standard ACM
> > > protocol for modems work.  Others do not.
> >
> > The "MultiModemUSB" by MultiTech Systems is one that (apparently) does
> > *not* work.
>
> Online reports via linux-usb.org mention MultiTech only a couple
> of times, with no reported successes.

Yeah, I tried that back then (2.4.3 kernel release timeframe -- over 4
months ago!) and was discouraged at what I found.  However, I figured
I'd just shelve the "project" for another few months and then go at it
again.  (I had been noticing lots of "USB Fixes" notes in the post-2.4.3
kernel release notes, but haven't taken the time to upgrade from 2.4.3.)

> A grep through the kernel
> source suggests that it might be worth trying the USB driver for
> serial devices (instead of ACM).

Very interesting.  I had looked through some of the kernel's USB sources
back then but I think I was looking more at joystick USB issues than
modem USB issues.

Just curious... what kernel (version) source did you grep and what were
you grepping on ("MutliTech"?)?

Many thanks for the pointer -- I'll definitely give it a try.

Bill Marr