[Re: modems]

Marr marr@shianet.org
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:48:52 -0400

Matt Graham wrote:

> Marr <marr@shianet.org> wrote:
>
> > I spent a couple of hours toying with USB modules trying to get my USB
> > devices recognized (with kernel 2.4.3 IIRC).  The Kodak DC260
> > USB-capable camera was easily recognized, the aforementioned modem and a
> > CH Products "F-16 Combatstick USB" (multi-button, multi-axis joystick)
> > were not recognized.
>
> FWIW, I didn't have much luck with joysticks in the 2.4 series until 2.4.5.
> The "hid" module should be the only thing necessary for a USB joystick to
> work, assuming the manufacturer decided to comply with the Human Interface
> Device specs for USB joysticks.  Try loading your USB core junk (usbcore,
> uhci/ohci), then the base joystick support (joydev), plugging in the joystick,
> and then "dmesg | tail" and then "modprobe hid" and see what you get.  Also,
> /dev/js0 should be a symlink to /dev/input/js0 , which should be a character
> device with major 13 and minor 0.

My memory is sketchy on exactly what I did back then (just checked my
saved log files -- this was over 4 months ago -- wow, time flies!).

To be more precise than my earlier email, I was actually seeing the USB
"plug/unplug" events in the '/var/log/messages' file, but no driver was
getting "attached to" the USB device (for joystick or modem).  With the
Kodak DC260 camera, the proper driver was getting attached to the device
automatically.  I dug a little into the kernel USB sources but couldn't
find an easy answer.

I'll try all this again sometime with a newer kernel and armed with your
advice.

Many thanks for the help!

Bill Marr