[Re: Xwin32]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
16 Aug 2001 11:21:46 EDT

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com wrote:
> >I have downloaded XWIN32 software. When I try to connet to the linux
> >machine it is not working at all . In the message window it is saying
> >as Client 0. My linux version is Redhat 6.2 running on Pentium
> >machine. Can anyone help me in this regard
>
> Sure.  You'll need to run X-Util32 and create your session as follows:
>
> connect using: XDMCP
> XDMCP mode: Query
> window settings: switch to single window mode
>
> Then you'll need to go into the Options menu and Xhosts and add your
> RedHat machine to your list of hosts.  Beyond that, just make sure that
> RedHat is coming up to runlevel 5 and launching xdm/kdm.  That should be
> all you need to do to configure things.  One thing I have noticed is that
> if you run AfterStep or WindowMaker, some dock (aka "wharf") apps won't
> behave properly within the client window whereas they work fine from the
> console.  Hope that helps!

?  Unless RedHat does things oddly, then its xdm/kdm/gdm will not broadcast
XDMCP to anything in the default mode.  You want to change
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers on the machine where you're running so that it includes
the following line:

IP.OF.REMOTE.MACHINE:0 foreign

This is only necessary if you're logging in with xdm and you want the full
"desktop experience".  Running X clients if you have an X-server running on a
Doze system is pretty simple:

0.  Use PuTTY to ssh into the remote Unix machine.  Use ssh!  telnet is
insecure, and you have to set DISPLAY manually with telnet, which is a pain.
1.  Start an X-client from the command line.  Don't forget the & at the end so
you can launch more clients.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."