linux as a workstation

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:21:16 -0400

>you can also look at afpfs/netatalk which does Appletalk file sharing, it
>is easy to setup, fast and I believe there are gui tools to do this.

On behalf of your network admin/consultant, I implore you not to put
Appletalk/netatalk on your network unless you have to have it (eg. to
connect to older MacOS systems).  It's a broadcasting, SAP-ing nightmare
of a protocol.  It's insecure and has a very low performance threshold,
such that if you have a network of 30+ machines, you will lose bandwidth
to overhead.  Sure the implementation is easy, and there are no addresses
or routes to configure, but there is a valid reason that even Apple is
trying to phase out their own protocol. :-)

PaulM