Help Needed

Paul Donahue donahu16@donahue.tcimet.net
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:01:56 -0400

There's 2 suggestions I have.

1) if you're on a public network use ssh to get into your linux box. I recommend SecureCRT as it does ssh1 and ssh2 protocols and has nice X11 forwarding capabilities (which will be used below)

2) if you really trust your network you can simply telnet into your linux box from your nt box and do something like this:

setenv DISPLAY XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:0.0  (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your nt box's ip address)

this essentially tells your linux box that the display for all X apps is the X-server on your nt box instead of the default. (note: if you're not using csh or tcsh for your shell, you might need to use something other than setenv)

¯- Now that you've done one of the two top things, you can run your X11 apps from your telnet or ssh prompt and they will display on your nt box.

hope this helps.

Paul Donahue B.S.
Computer Scientist
Computer/Network Technician
Michigan State University
http://www.pdonahue.com/
ICQ: 1624723   Phone: 517-204-6047

>>> "Aman" <aman@mistralsoftware.com> 08/17/01 02:57AM >>>

Hi All

I am trying to connect to Redhat Linux 6.2 version from a winNT machine using XWIN32 software. I have enabled my linux machine for run level 5. However I am not getting any GUI on my XWIN32. I have attached the inittab and my configuration below.

"Using keyboard file d:\Program Files\StarNet\X-Win32 5.1\Lib\US.XKB
"fixed" aliased
"-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" opened
"cursor" opened
X-Win32 version 5.1.2 build 14
Client 0  request 45 length 20 sequence 0x1
Client 0  request 94 length 32 sequence 0x2
Client 0  request 2 length 16 sequence 0x3
    client 0 error 3
Client 0  request 1 length 36 sequence 0x4
Client 0  request 18 length 32 sequence 0x5
    client 0 error 3
Client 0  request 15 length 8 sequence 0x6
    client 0 error 3
Client 0  request 22 length 16 sequence 0x7
Client 0  request 24 length 24 sequence 0x8
Client 0  request 18 length 40 sequence 0x9
Client 0  request 25 length 44 sequence 0xa
Client 0  request 20 length 24 sequence 0xb
Client 0  request 24 length 24 sequence 0xc
Client 0  request 18 length 40 sequence 0xd
Client 0  request 25 length 44 sequence 0xe
Client 0  request 20 length 24 sequence 0xf"

My Configuration for Xwin32 is as follows

SESSION:
Session Name is Linux
XDMCP: Query
Host Name : 10.10.10.222
Session Flags : All Enabled with default option

WINDOWS:
Windows Mode is Single
Backing Store is always on

DISPLAY

Available IP address : 10.10.10.72( This is the host Machine address thru which I am contact my linux server).

SECURITY
XHOSTS list
10.10.10.222
Access Control
XAuth options are checked

If I try the rexec session, I am able to get a console window. However I am not able to get GUI. Can you help me in this regard.
I have attached the inittab file also. Any changes has to be done. Let me know

Thanking you in advance
Regards
Aman