OT - are there telco lightning protection guidelines?

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:24:47

I have similar problems at my location...  3 or 4 modems, a satelite
reciever, etc...  phone line surge supressors are the best bet.  They're
about $5 - $15 and instead of the $100 motherboard getting blown, a little
fuse in the surge supressor gets blown.

The problem isn't so bad at my house now, but I did just have a modem blown
(crappy $0.50 winmodem)...   it used to be that anytime there was lightning
within 5 miles it would zap our house.  Phones and answering machines have
never been affected, but all modem-like devices have (hardware + software
modems, satelite reciever (embedded hardware modem)).

Explanations?