OT - are there telco lightning protection guidelines?

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
22 Aug 2001 11:30:30 -0400

David Hamilton <dhamilton@voyager.net> writes:

> Be aware that if you add protection to your phone line, you can
> severally lower your modem connection speeds.

Really?  Why?  Does the current limiter attenuate the signal too
much, or is there some sort of capacitative effect?

I get the same 46666 bps connection from here whether I route the
line through my UPS or not.  Admittedly it's a fairly snazzy UPS
(for being four years old at least) with 650 VA and serial line
reporting, but still...
--
"If a person keeps faithfully busy each hour of the working day, he
 can count on waking up some morning to find himself one of the