Apache - HTTP and HTTPS on Same Server

Paul Donahue donahu16@donahue.tcimet.net
Tue, 04 Dec 2001 07:22:18 -0500

I have just finished a couple of weeks ago setting up this sort of thing. Are you using the <VirtualHost name.of.server:443> followed by a NameVirtualHost name.of.server:443 in the apache config file?

That's how I got mine working.

BTW as a heads up, if you're planning on using a diff certificate for different virtual hosts the only way I got that working was to serve each of the secure virutal hosts on different ports, then do a redirect to get pointed to the right one. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need more assistance.

Paul Donahue
Computer Scientist
Computer/Network Technician
Michigan State University
http://www.pdonahue.com/
ICQ: 1624723   Phone: 517-204-6047

>>> "Matt Fuerst" <fuerstma@msu.edu> 12/03/01 10:17PM >>>
Has anyone accomplished this? I have got my server running several virtual
hosts on port 80. I have installed open ssl, mod_ssl, and my certificate,
and can do:

apachectl startssl

And start my SSL Apache server, but that ignores all the rest of my
non-SSL/HTTPS servers.

There's a brief snippet on this here:
http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC17

But I was wondering if anyone has a more in depth discussion on this.

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Matt