[Fwd: CONSOL in Mexico]

Mark Lachniet mark@lachniet.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:23:31 -0500

Hello all...  This may be of interest to some of you.

Mark Lachniet

=======================================
Free Software National Meeting (CONSOL) - 2002
The Meeting that will consolidate the Free Software Community in Mexico.

1. Call for papers

Location : To be defined, in Mexico City
Dates : February 12th thru 15th, 2002

1.1 Key Dates

Closing date for papers submission: January 7th 2002

Works received after closing dates will be scheduled according to space and
timeframe availability. We cannot guarantee they will be included as part of the
material provided to the audience.

Papers acceptance notification : January 20th 2002

1.2. Organizing Entities:

* Linux AC

* Free Software Area, DGSCA, UNAM.

1.3 Organizing Comitee

Gunnar Wolf, Alejandro Juárez, Roberto Andrade, Javier Díaz, Iliana Hernández,
Alejandro Sánchez, Raúl Gómez, Javier del Pino, Daniel Ceballo, Fernando Romo,
Octavio Ruiz, Manuel Rabade, Jose Neif Jury,  Miguel Ángel Hernández, Ángel
Polanco, Giovanni Gómez

1.4 Academic Comitee

* Roberto Andrade Fonseca. ABL Consultores, S.A. de C.V.

* Iliana Hernández Perez. e-compugraf

* Alejandro Juárez OpenBSD.Org.MX

2 Introduction

The fact that millions of servers and desktop machines today run free operating
systems like Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD highlights their relevance in the
current and future evolution of the internet.

Not less important is the widespread use of tools like Apache, MySQL,
PostgreSQL, Perl, Phyton, Samba and many more that have become the expert or
beginner programmers preferred tools for many different kind of deployments
ranging from specific problem solutions to really complex deployments.

In Mexico, as well as in the rest of the world, the free software community has
been increasing for several years earning a great acceptance of these operating
systems and tools among lots of companies and institutions in applications that
range from simple deployments to mission critical implementations.

If you are looking to publish or recruit people to contribute to any free
software project you are currently developing, CONSOL (Free Software National
Meeting per its initials in Spanish) is the place you have been looking for.

At CONSOL you will be able to know and discuss with the most important members
of the free software community and will have the chance to learn a bit more
about installation, configuration and use of several free operating systems and
tools.

This first CONSOL will consist of four days made up workshop and technical
sessions, and also will provide room for its sponsors to show case their
innovations.

The combination of several technical presentations, magisterial conferences,
workshops, tutorials and the presentation of developing projects is an exciting
opportunity for the audience to learn about new proposals built by experts,
professionals and free software industry leaders in our country, no matter how
deep or shallow is their involvement with free software systems.

3 Technical sessions.

Dates: From February 12th thru 15th 2002

Schedule : Technical sessions will take place all four days from 13:00  to
19:00 with presentations and conferences given by experts and leaders in our
community.

The conferences papers will be printed and distributed at each track reception
desk. They will explain some problems that have been solved using free software
either at the kernel level or in practical real world situations.

CONSOL is looking for materials related with the free software world. Our main
interests are :

+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|    Security and networks   |      Applications     |          Programming
  | Philosophical and introductory matters |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|          Security          |      Businesses       |      Operating Systems
  |                Beginners               |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|          Networks          |       Education       |   Development
environments  |                 e-Mexico               |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
| High Availability Clusters |        Design         |          Data bases
  |                 Licences               |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|     Telecommunications     |         Games         |       Web Programming
  |                  Trends                |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|                            |   Free desktops and   |  Drivers and I/O systems
  |            New technologies            |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|                            |        Servers        |        Embedded systems
  |         Successful experiences         |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+
|                            |                       |  High Performance
Clusters  |                                        |
+----------------------------+-----------------------+--------------------------
---+----------------------------------------+

Works will be selected on a quality basis, as well as according to the relevance
they may have for the community.

Please review the guidelines for the Meeting material preparation.

4 Keynote Conferences

Dates : February 12th  thru 15th 2002.

Schedule: 19:00 to 20:00

Keynote conferences will be given by high level Information Technology
professionals,
opinion leaders or outstanding developers selected among the free software
community. These conferences will cover topics  like nationwide IT politics,
real
project implementations built upon the most commonly used free software, IT and
free
software future visionnaires thoughts and developements, etc., matters that are
considered of high relevance for the audience.

5 Workshops and tutorials

Dates: February 12th thru 15th 2002.

Schedule : 9:00 to 13:00.

CONSOL offers workshops and tutorials covering a variety of important topics
for the free software community. Some of them are  free operating system
kernels, security and administration, applications developement, databases, etc.

If you wish to present a workshop or tutorial please send a message to the
Academic Comitee .

6 Birds-of-a-Feather (BoF) Sessions

CONSOL audience can provide you with discussions and valuable ideas for your
works, even if they are not currently ready to be published. BoF sessions are
informal meetings of people who share an interest in a particular idea. These
don't require too much planning and can be organized during the CONSOL scheduled
days, utilizing any CONSOL meeting room or after daily sessions end.

If you wish to schedule them in advance, you can send an e-mail to the Academic
Comitee .

7 Sponsors showcase

Sponsors and companies that wish to exhibit their products participation is
currently being defined

For further information on this matter please go to [http://www.consol.org.mx]

8 Registration and activities scheduling I

Information on the whole programmation and information for registering will be
available in our website [http://www.consol.org.mx] starting January 15th 2002.

9 Presentations format

All proposals presented must include the following information :

* Work title

* Type of work (workshop, tutorial or conference)

* Executive brief (Maximum 2 sheets)

* Presentation requirements (PC, videobeams, slide projectors, etc.)

* Author(s) information:

  * Name

  * Address

  * Curriculum brief

  * Phone and fax numbers

  * E-mail address

For tutorial works the following information will be required :

* Objective

* Presentation, including a summary

* Topics to be covered

* Timing (two or four hours )

* Material that will be used along the session (acetates or similar)

* Material that will be provided to the audience

10 Accepted formats

All the authors whose proposals are accepted, are required to provide the
complete text of the conference or tutorial to be included in the Meeting
Memories in any of the following formats :

* HTML

* Tex/LaTex

* DocBook

* ASCII (ISO-Latin-1 code)

Images or graphics included should be presented in any of the following formats
:

* PNG

* PCX

* BMP

* JPEG

Works can be sent either electronically via e-mail to the Academic Comitee
 or via regular mail or personal delivery to any of the
following addresses :

Área de Software Libre de la UNAM (Dirección General de Servicios de Cómputo
Académico. Circuito Exterior CU, frente a la Facultad de Contaduría y
Administración, C.P. 04510, México, D.F.).

Linux México, A.C. (Berlín 57, Col. del Carmen, Coyoacán. C.P. 04100. Méx. D.F.
Tél. (52) 55 5658 0579).

Sección de Desarrollo y Administración de Sistemas en Red, FES Iztacala, UNAM.
Paseo de los Barrios S/N. Los Reyes Iztacala, Tlalnepantla, C.P. 54090. Estádo
de México. Tel.(+52) 5382-2010.