Something Wicked

Ben Pfaff blp@cs.stanford.edu
27 Dec 2001 21:16:16 -0800

Mark Szidik <szidikm@mlcnet.org> writes:

> Here is an interesting log message on my RH 7.2 kernel 2.4.9-13
> box:
>
> Dec 27 14:34:32 localhost kernel: eth1: Something Wicked happened! 808200.
>
> Anybody know what it means?  eth1 is working fine.

That means that you are using one of a few of Becker's Ethernet
drivers and an error condition was detected.  The driver attempts
to recover, so it may not be a big deal.  If you are still
concerned, pass it on to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org.  Be sure
to specify what Ethernet driver this was.

I suppose this is only one step above the EtherExpress 16 driver,
which on some error conditions will report
        eth0: transmit timed out, board on fire?
and of course there are similar messages elsewhere in the kernel.