Python quesiton

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:09:55 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Mark Szidik wrote:
> Is there a simple way to test a string to see if it holds numeric
> characters in python?   I can't seem to find anything simple.

*whips out the sledgehammer that is Python and prepares to hammer
out some code...*

#!/usr/local/bin/python

#import the regular expression library
import re

# Compile our regular expression if we're going to use it a lot
has_a_number = re.compile(".*\d.*")

def match_numbers(string):
    if has_a_number.search(string) == None:
        print("No digits")
    else:
        print("Has digits")

I wrapped it in a function, but really all you need is to test the
return value of has_a_number.search(string), if it's None then the
match failed and there aren't any numbers, otherwise it found a
digit.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Computer Laboratory, Technical Support Services