nfs

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
07 Feb 2001 09:15:02 -0500

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> I was just glancing over an article and I got stuck on this sentence regarding
> /etc/exports:
>
> If you specify *.freeos.com in the access list, abc.freeos.com and
> def.abc.freeos.com will be able to mount the exported directory, but
> xyz.abc.freeos.com will not have access.

It's a mistake.  See exports(5):

       wildcards
              Machine names may contain the wildcard characters *
              and  ?.   This can be used to make the exports file
              more compact; for  instance,  *.cs.foo.edu  matches
              all  hosts in the domain cs.foo.edu. However, these
              wildcard characters do not  match  the  dots  in  a
              domain  name, so the above pattern does not include
              hosts such as a.b.cs.foo.edu.

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."