Problem: NFS on Debian

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:09:53

Ok, here's my problem: I have set up NFS for the /home dirrectory on a
server freshly installed with Debian 2.2r2, I can read and write files to
the /home dirrectory and all others under it froma client machine, but when
I attempt to create a dirrectory, it's permissions are set to allow
read/write/enter for the owner of that dirrectory only, and I can't
read/write/enter it.  This makes recursive copying impossible (which is
really annoying ;).

Here's the configs:

Server: Debian 2.2r2
IP Address: 10.0.0.2
/etc/exports (incredibly insecure, but simple):

/home (rw)

Client: Mandrake 7.2
IP Address: 10.0.0.225
Mount Dirrectory: /mnt/disk

I run an xterm on the mandrake box, su, and mount the NFS share like so:
"mount 10.0.0.2:/home /mnt/disk"  I then exit (su, then the xterm) and go
about my business...  File transfer great (I haven't checked their
permissions though), but dirrectories don't work so well.  I read (via
dselect) that the NFS server included with Debian 2.2r2 runs in user mode
(as opposed to kernel mode -- I guess kernel mode is normal for an NFS
server) could this have anythign to do with the problem???

Basically, permissions are not retained when copying stuff from one area of
the filesystem to the NFS mount, and it makes me mad :|.

Any ideas?

Thanks -- Tim