NFS benchmarking

Adam McDougall mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:42:34 -0500 (EST)

I dont know about nfs specific benchmarks, it probably matters largely on
what the clients are doing, but you may try asking the net@freebsd.org
list, they would probably have some suggestions.  If you just want
something to play with for right now,  I would try postmark, bonnie,
iozone, and whip up a script with maybe some file copies or multiple
instances of dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile bs=1024k count=256.  I am pretty
certain a pIII 866 should be plenty of raw horsepower for simple data over
gigabit but it may not be as great with NFS on top.  Remember, NFS uses
network (big endian) byte order even if your server or clients are small
endian, so a big endian server may perform better at equal cpu speeds.  I
think most NetApp servers are Alpha (big endian)..