???? (help)

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
12 Feb 2001 12:45:53 -0500

Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:

> On 12 Feb 2001, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
> > Robero Allende <rallende@harlan.di.unc.edu.ar> writes:
> >
> > > Now I've another one :). Ok, it's no so seriously (everthing it's working
> > > but this error for me is strange)... A daemon says the follow:
> > >
> > > gethostbyname: No such file or directory
> >
> > Probably a buggy daemon.  What is it, and what version?

> What version of linux too. I kind of wonder if it is a RH problem where
> they put the info in a different spot or something similar.

You seem to be assuming that the daemon is actually looking for a
file, and not finding it, and this is the actual error.  This is
unlikely.  Far more likely is that the program is mis-coded such
that it calls something like
	perror ("gethostbyname");
which is simply wrong because gethostbyname puts its error code
into h_errno, not errno, but perror() checks errno.  Thus, the
error message in question is probably just garbage from an
earlier call into libc.
--
"Long noun chains don't automatically imply security."
--Bruce Schneier