DocBook

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:14:16 -0500 (EST)

OK, so I started looking at DocBook, just to see what it's like.
>From what I've seen, it seems like a really good choice for
documenting stuff, where you can be concerned more about what you're
writing than how it's going to look.  You also can put a lot of
meta-data in your documents and deal with it a bit more easily than
something like HTML can.  It can also be output into HTML, TeX,
plaintext, PS, PDF, who knows what, so it seems to fit the bill
pretty well on that front.  The downside appears to be the complexity
of running stuff to process your docs.  I think you would definately
want to have a Makefile or some handy scripts to do your document
processing, because you have no chance whatsoever of remembering
all the proper syntax for all the commands involved.  I think it's
just a matter of figuring things out for the first time though,
and from then on you can just cookie-cutter or boilerplate your
way to success.

So the short answer is: It looks like I need to look at it more... ;)

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG President				http://www.gllug.org