DSL in Lansing, Velotel

Dale Grover dgrover@redcedar.com
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 14:32:14 -0500

Yet another DSL data point.  Signed up for DSL with
Velotel.com on 8/23/00 after a bit of research.  Ameritech
won't touch me (they were apparently concentrating on
customers closer than 8500 feet--I'm 15K+), and ATT cable
was unsure about everything.  I'm north of Grand River, just
west of 127/Frandor (Groesbeck).

The major delay was apparently Northpoint, who said they'd
have certain links in place but didn't.  Once Northpoint was
set, Ameritech wasn't too bad in getting the physical line
set up.  Northpoint screwed up the scheduling, delaying me
an additional week before installation of the modem inside,
and then the router was delayed an additional week, but by
12/21/00 (a mere 4 months) I had 190K bps (download)
service.  I would have to assume that by now the delay would
be much less--1-2 weeks plus Ameritech installation, would
be my guess.

Details:
$60/month, one static IP (you can get 5 more for $5/month I
think)
195 installation (includes Copper Mountain bridge) (12 month
contract)
109 router/firewall (but could also buy anywhere--just a
linksys 1 port)

Router/firewall is hooked to a 4-port hub (this was all to
make things simple--I'm sure the Linux gurus out there could
do this with $20 of MSU salvage items)

Service--except for Northpoint's scheduling snafu, and of
course Northpoint's slight 4 month delay, I'm relatively
happy.  I've always talked to a real person at Velotel, and
they kept me up to date with the real reasons for delays.
(www.dslreports.com has other reviews + info on DSL.)

YMMV

--Dale

--
Dale Grover                      (517) 374-7966
Red Cedar Electronics      (517) 374-9676 (fax)