Hello

Tim Schmidt computer_holic@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:33:35

Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier...

You said that you wanted something easy to install on a 486 w/ 8Mb of RAM
and use it as a dial-up gateway for your LAN...  Easily done.

FreeSCO is a Linux-based router/gateway/proxy that fits on a 3 1/2" disk and
only requires a 386 SX (that's right... no math co-processor nescessary!) w/
6Mb of RAM.  It's even easy to set up (compared to Ben's Debian instalation
;)

Go to www.freesco.org and read the manual, DL the .zip files (there's 2, the
main one, and the one with NIC drivers), and un-zip them onto your hard
drive.

(I'm assuming you're running Windows or DOS) run the .bat file in the
dirrectory your just un-zipped everything into.  It will write Freesco onto
a 3 1/2" floppy.

Boot from that floppy once (this is needed for Freesco to un-pack itself and
set up the DOS formatted floppy). Shut down the machine, and go back to
Windows. Find the driver for the NIC you have in the 486 and copy it to the
a:\router\drv dirrectory.

stick the floppy into the 486 and boot from it.  During the LILO prompt type
'setup' and press enter. Freesco will ask you a series of (relatively)
simple questions and automatically generate all the various configuration
files.

re-boot once and you're done.