AntiTrust

Sean picasso@madflower.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 00:52:02 -0500 (EST)

On 15 Jan 2001, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:
>
> > Windows has been ported to run on Alpha, SGI, Sun, PPC, etc hardware. I
> > wouldnt call it a billion but it is quite a few.
>
> Older versions of NT worked (for small values of "work") on
> non-x86 hardware platforms, true, but modern versions do not.
> WinCE works on non-x86 platforms, but that's not what people mean
> when they say "Windows".  Emulators can allow Windows to run on
> non-x86 hardware, but slowly and only when hosted by another OS.
>
> So what do you mean?

I was referring to NT, it is Windows isnt it? and yes I could have thrown
in WinCE, I mean what is "everyones" definition of windows. I guess that
is about as confusing as X86 hardware with slot a/b, socket a/b, slot 1/2,
socket 7, socket 370, etc.

I thought NT 4 ran on SGI, Sun, X86, and they had a beta that ran on PPC
but IBM's PPC not Apples (same chip, and could be hacked to run on Apple
hardware but..). I know they killed it a year or two ago but it is still
modern by Windows standards.