rj 45

Paul Melson melson@scnc.holt.k12.mi.us
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:31:24 -0500

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:24:11PM -0500, Marcel Kunath wrote:
> Anybody know where I can pick up 50 or 100 pieces cheap online or offline in
> ivcinity?

	Graybar, or Kendall in Lansing should have those
	quantities.  My experience with Fulton (I think
	someone mentioned them, on S. Pennsylvania next
	to Gream Girls... well, it is!) has been that
	they are severely understocked.  If they had 100
	pieces, it would be a fluke.

	Also try MBE Computers in West Lansing (off Canal).
	It won't be cheap, but they'll have them.

> What is CAT5e?

	It's CAT5-compatible cable that is designed to do
	gigabit over short distances.  It's also pretty
	common in digital video equipment setups, too.
	The functional difference is that it can handle
	frequencies of up to 350Mhz (over short distances)
	where CAT5 is supposed to max at 100Mhz.  If you
	don't run gigabit, don't spend the money.  If you
	do run gigabit, switch to CAT6 or fiber.

PaulM

--
							melson@holt.k12.mi.us