computer voodoo blues

Paul Donahue donahu16@msu.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:46:46 -0500

Hey there,

I'm going crazy trying to figure this one out. Up until newyears day I had
my compaq presario 1215 laptop tweaked out running redhat 6.1 and a whole
bunch of custom stuff after that. It was awesome. Ran smooth and everything.

THEN... 2001 CAME,

Now I have been fighting with it for the last 17 days trying to figure out
why such commands as "ps, top, netstat, ntsysv, and startx" fail. I
determined that glibc must be screwed up so I tried fixing it. No success.
Well last night I finally broke down and restored from a ghost image I took
back on 10/31/2k knowing that I would loose my customizations and updates,
but hey at least it would work again right?!

WRONG!!!!  Still same problem being that these commands all fail miserably
with a segfault and a proceeding coredump. doing some debugging determines
failures around glibc just like it used to. The failure is usually around
some of the string libraries.

HELP! I have no idea what to do, and having a laptop with just winderz 98 on
it really sucks.

thanx,
pd

Paul Donahue