Needed: GNU/Linux intro course ideas

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:18:12 -0500 (EST)

I am planning to do a 3 hour demo/introduction of the Open Source
software movement and in particular GNU/Linux to *librarians* sometime
in April.  This will be the first is a series of courses that I will
present that will get progressively more technical.

(I will give the presentation sometime thereafter at a GLLUG meeting if
anyone wants it.)

Here is my working outline.  Suggestions?

The Open Source movement
  The Philosophy
	Free: as in beer
	Free: as in speech  (should ring well with librarians)
	RMS and the FSF
	ESR's Cathedral & bazaar and other writings
  Licenses - GPL Vs. M$ EULA  Vs. BSD Vs. hundres of variants

Demonstration
  System Software (the OS)
	Compare Linux to Windoze

  Applications
	Server Apps
		Apache + PHP
		PostgreSQL
		DNS
		Sendmail
	Desktop Apps
		X window system (show KDE and Gnome)
			(maybe even demo X server on another machine to
			 drive the cooless of it home to them)
		Gimp
		Gnumeric
		Abi word
		Mozilla / netscape
		StarOffice (don't know if I have time for it)
	(Any other flashy apps to dazzle them with?
	I Don't think they'd appreciate Python or bash scripts)

Conclusion:
	How to put free software to work in libraries

TIA for your recommendations.
Mark Szidik
System Administrator           Ph: 517.694.4242 x17  Fax: 517.694.9303
Michigan Library Consortium    http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us