Freesco install

jtuma@ia4u.net jtuma@ia4u.net
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:03:26 -0500

Gentlemen,

    Thank you very much for helping me with my internet router project.
Freesco appears to be exactly what I was looking for, so I have installed
it on an old HP Vectra machine - P150, 32meg ram and an old Conner 127 meg
HD. Also put in a 3Com 3C595TX nic and, for test purposes, a USR 33.6
Sportster internal modem - I have a 56K Zoom external coming from Ebay.  I
disabled both serial ports in the bios (didn't remember which com port the
modem was set for - since found out it was the standard com1 and irq4.
I'm booting from a Freesco floppy until I get it working - will then copy
to and run from the HD.

    My problem is Freesco boots, but doesn't seem to dial or access the
modem.  It seemed to setup the modem ok during the setup process and goes
through the boot process without any error messages (at least as far as I
can tell).  I then get to a router inet prompt, but don't know what (if
anything) I should enter.  The modem never dials (I entered the phone
number ,etc. ok).  I don't think it's a hardware problem, as I booted my
main machine (with a modem I know works) with the Freesco floppy and got
the same results.  Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jim Tuma

"Can the Liberties of a nation be
 secure when we have removed a conviction that these
 liberties are the gift of God?"  -  Thomas Jefferson
Jim Tuma
Charlotte, MI