NFS

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:16:17 -0500 (EST)

On 26 Jan 2001, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:
>
> > An NFS server has a dual-port ethernet adapter.  Etherchannel
> > (combining two ethernet links into one) is not supported on the
> > server end, so it isn't a viable solution.  Each port now requires
> > its own IP address.  There are N clients trying to use the server.
> > Excluding manually setting N/2 clients to point to each IP, and
> > excluding spending big $$$ on a load balancer, is there any good
> > solution for spreading the load to take advantage of the second
> > ethernet port on the server?
>
> Round-robin DNS?

We thought of that too, but the question is, how does NFS handle
host name lookups?  I would assume it would do it when it tries to
mount the drive the first time, then use the IP from there on out,
otherwise it would be bombarding the DNS server with requests.
However, if there is a happy middle ground, say re-lookup every
hour or something, it would probably work pretty good to do it with
DNS.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Technical Support Services