Meeting this weekend?

Steve Duane duaneste@cvm.msu.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:15:28 -0500

As long as it's not too boring for the rest of the group, I'd really like to hear about basic *nix-ing sometime.  A meeting (or two?) ago Ed explained to me in sufficient detail how everything in Unix is a device and how piping commands to other commands works and what stdin is etc etc.  These are things that I'm sure will make it a thousand times easier to understand what it is I'm supposed to be doing in a *nix enviorment but have never been able to find tapping inanely through man pages.  I'd just like some help that covers fundamentals rather than pages upon pages of abstract and ambiguous lists of arguements that can be added to the hundred or so basic commands that I already don't understand.  I don't know if that's meetin' topic worthy (i.e. a source for this info already exists and would send all the real geeks in the GLLUG into la la land) but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Steve Duane
"If you're lucky to be one of the few
To find somebody who can tolerate you,
Then I shouldn't have to tell you again
Just pack your bags and get yourself on a plane.
If you need her, then she'll be there - Go Home."