Adobe's recent unethical actions

Dpk dpk@egr.msu.edu
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:30:32 -0400

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:34:42PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:

   Mrs. McHale and Mr. Prescott:

   I have read in various places that Adobe has had Mr. Dmitri
   Sklyarov arrested for the "crime" of demonstrating that some of
   Adobe's encryption products do not provide good security.  This is
   an unethical and ultimately unacceptable way for a corporatino to
   behave.  Instead of trying to suppress criticism of your
   technologies, you should be improving them so that they do not have
   the flaws that they do.

   As a result, I am boycotting all Adobe products, starting
   immediately.  This includes even such things as printers with
   Adobe-branded PostScript engines.  I am sending copies of this
   letter to a group of friends to encourage them to boycott Adobe as
   well.

   I hope that Adobe will reconsider its actions in this matter.  At
   the very least, a public apology is due to Mr. Sklyakrov, possibly
   some other forms of compensation as well.  You should be thanking
   him, not attempting to imprison him for defects in your own
   technologies.

I attended the Defcon conference and was shocked to hear this when I
returned.  Unfortunately I had left just before his talk (he was the
last talk on Sunday) so I didn't get to hear it.  While I don't think
I can get away with a full boycott because of work related services
already in place, it definately will hinder my use in business
applications and prohibit my personal use of Adobe products.

Dennis