[Linux in the Enterprise]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
18 Jul 2001 17:58:09 EDT

Dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu> wrote:
> I am well aware of Linux's capabilities in the software area, but have
> not dealt much with the hardware aspects.  I am looking to find fair,
> reliable information on hardware RAID 5 systems from 500 MB to 1 TB,
> both SCSI and Fibre Channel, auto loading tape libraries, etc. that
> work with Linux on the x86 architecture.

A 500MB RAID-5?  Whoa, that's some serious enterprise computing!  :-]

We've got a Perc3 card handling 7 disks in RAID-5 for 480G.  It can take up to
15 disks, but we didn't have the money for that many.  It works great, but
it's SCSI and not fiber.  These cards are supported by the "aacraid" module,
which also supports the Perc2 cards.  (NOTE:  The aacraid module is not part
of the standard kernel sources, but the source is easily obtained.)  AMI
Megaraid cards are supported by the "megaraid" module.  The ICP Vortex cards
are also well-supported when it comes to hardware RAID.

Autoloaders?  Hmm, tried searching
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search under comp.os.linux.hardware
for "autoloader" ?  That might cough up some hits.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."