debian ?

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
19 Jul 2001 20:42:29 -0400

"Daniel R . Kilbourne" <drk@voyager.net> writes:

> how do I set up my networking with Debian? (I believe
> the NIC is a 3COM which worked flawlessly under
> RedHat/Win2k/FreeBSD). Any hints?

The first trick is to get the module loaded, if it's not built
into the kernel.  You can do that with `modprobe 3c59x' if it's a
3c950 or 3c590 or something like that.  Once you know the module
name, add it to /etc/modules so it gets loaded on boot.

The second step is to set up /etc/network/interfaces so that the
interface is configured properly.  This has a section for each
network interface and a line that says which of them should be
automatically started at boot.  Here's mine, and it should be
pretty self-explanatory:

    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet dhcp
	    up /etc/init.d/ntpdate start

    iface eth1 inet static
	    address 192.168.128.2
	    netmask 255.255.255.0

    iface ppp0 inet ppp
	    provider provider

See also interfaces(5).  Besides the `auto' interfaces that are
brought up at boot, you can manually bring them up/take them down
with ifup(8) and ifdown(8).