The Best Apache Modules

Scott Wood treii28@yahoo.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:23:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- Matthew Hill <matthew@liquidweb.com> wrote:
> Ray,
>
> For starters, mod_jive is essential for any web server.
>
> Matthew Hill

eghad is that what I think it is?

lessee, I am not sure if any of these are still around or not - I know speling
is which can come in handy to make things a bit easier for users who aren't
used to operating systems smart enough to descern the difference between upper
and lower case *cough cough*.  I also used to use the xssi rather than the
standard include library, but I noticed on my latest package version that
although some of the httpd.conf references to xssi were still in there
(commented out), the module was not.
Way-back-when, there used to be some listed in the 'unsupported' trees of the
apache source site that were interesting.  One I played with was an FTP site
converter which could be pointed at an FTP site somewhere and access it via the
apache server complete with custom formatting.  I think some of this
funcationality is integrated in to the existing set of default modules now (at
least as far as the formatting goes)

Another one of interest - if it still exists - was one that let you set
'partition-wide' properties (much like Location or Directory) that would effect
everything on a given mount/partition. (saved time for in Location/Directory
sections on those partitions by setting global defaults for the whole drive)
This was especially handy if you already have your system set up with
permissions based on the fstab mounting table and wanted them to carry over
onto the web server behavior.

'limit' is one that I think is dead now, but it and others like it would limit
the amount a user could download (bytes or hits depending on the flavor of the
module(s)) from a given tree.

And of course, my favorite of the currently supported one's is mod_perl,
especially if you use it with the various CPAN Apache::* modules - and those
especially if in persist mode.  Apache::DBI for example can maintain an open
connection to your SQL.  Apache::MP3 gives you a pretty interface to browsing
your MP3 collection including MPU batching, streaming and download capability.
There are many more ... and I didn't even mention the benefits of PerlScript.

Scott