piracy and oss - the crux

Keyes, Randall randall.keyes@jnli.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:31:21 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C11139.691A64B0

I'm not certain this would have been a problem 50 years ago when folk were
still expected to behave in a moral fashion or be otherwise shamed.

There is nothing wrong with commerce, so long as it is performed with
self-control and both the seller and consumer benefit.

My problem with Microsoft is that they ask others to refrain from pirating
their software while they pirate the ideas and code of others.

Certainly piracy is a problem.  If people have no reason to be moral, why
should it not?  But then, some of us still believe morality matters.

My 2 cents... :)

Randy Keyes
Network Services, JNL
517-367-3976
randall.keyes@jnli.com <mailto:randall.keyes@jnli.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C11139.691A64B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: piracy and oss  - the crux</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm not certain this would have been a problem 50 =
years ago when folk were still expected to behave in a moral fashion or =
be otherwise shamed.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>There is nothing wrong with commerce, so long as it =
is performed with self-control and both the seller and consumer =
benefit.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My problem with Microsoft is that they ask others to =
refrain from pirating their software while they pirate the ideas and =
code of others.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Certainly piracy is a problem.&nbsp; If people have =
no reason to be moral, why should it not?&nbsp; But then, some of us =
still believe morality matters.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My 2 cents... :)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Randy Keyes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Network Services, JNL</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>517-367-3976</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>randall.keyes@jnli.com &lt;<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:randall.keyes@jnli.com">mailto:randall.keyes@jnli.com</A>=
&gt; </FONT>