[Re: piracy and oss]

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk@voyager.net
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:21:19 -0400

Can you say dead horse? *thwack*

Edward Glowacki extolled:
> What I would prefer is a more flexible pricing scheme.  Say I really
> like Windows Commander ($28 shareware), and I think it's worth $50
> to me.  I pay $50 and get the rights to use it.  Now say you kinda
> like Windows Commander, but you only think it's worth $30.  Then
> there's Person X, who uses it once in a while, and thinks it's only
> worth $5.  If you set the price hard at $30, you get 2 sales for
> $60 total.  If you went with a $30 suggested price, but didn't
> require it, you could get 3 sales for $85 total.

No offense, but did you grow up in a fairy tale land? I know of pretty much no one that would pay more than suggested, let alone required, for anything. I really like Corvettes, and would be willing (if I could afford it) to shell out the $45000 or so to get one. But, show me a Corvette that says "MSRP $45000, please pay at least $10000, but all offers are accepted," and you damn well know I would give the dealer $1 and drive my ass home in the best deal ever on a new Corvette.