modems

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:15:52 -0400

Kyle Marcus Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what are some recomended linux - compatible modems.
>
> thanks
>
> kyle
> ander640@msu.edu

You might try:

http://www.linmodems.org/
http://lhd.datapower.com/

Although I know there are internal modems that work, I think your best
bet will be an external modem. Probably any external will work although
I've had the best luck with USR's (warning - USR is absolutely among the
worst for internal's - and totally uncooperative to the linux
community). For internal's, the big thing to avoid is _anything_ that
advertises or even smacks of 'winmodem' unless you've verified in
advance that there is linux support for it - there are a few. Unless I'm
mistaken, anything that states a requirement for a certain cpu size will
almost certainly fall in that catagory as it is an indication that the
main cpu does all the work through a windows driver instead of having
the processing hardware on the modem itself.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us