shell question

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:38:15 -0400

Quoted from Matthew Ryan Fuerst on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 01:30:50PM -0400:
> Silly shell question -
>
> Is there a way to log the output of a command into a file as well as to the
> terminal?
>
> I am planning on building apache from source, and want to capture the output to
> afile for future reference, but would also like to see it on the screen..
>
> I thought of something silly like
>
> ./configure >> apache.output >> echo
>
> but I don't know if that will do the trick....

I believe you are looking for the program called "tee".  "man tee"
for usage instructions.

You can also "./configure >> apache.output" in one window and "tail
-f apache.output" in another.

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org