need 50-pin internal scsi terminator

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:28:47 -0400

Quoted from Ben Pfaff on Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:18:50PM -0400:
> Sean <picasso@madflower.com> writes:
>
> > Discount PC has a lot of adapters for reasonable prices.
> >
> > I'm not doubting you, but I guess I am surprised you actually need one.
> >
> > Most devices are self-terminating, at least the ones I have run into in
> > the last 5 years, usually its a jumper on the device. Typically it
> > ends up to be a problem with the device before the last one on the chain
> > because termination is enabled on it.
>
> I'm fully aware of this, and in fact the device in question (an
> ancient Plextor CD-ROM drive) did come with an internal
> terminator.  It's just that in order to put a SCSI ZIP drive on
> the same chain I had to disable (remove) its internal terminator.
> In doing so, I broke it: it was a set of three packages
> containing perhaps 4 resistors each, all of which were reluctant
> to come out, and one of which shattered when I applied necessary
> force.  So now that I want to remove the ZIP drive from that
> particular chain, I have to get a new source of termination.  It
> should be significantly easier to find a terminator than to find
> a resistor with exactly the right specs.

SCSI cabling seems expensive to me (every time I've looked for it
anyways), so I'd expect the terminator to cost $10-$15.  Pricewatch
shows 40x SCSI CDROM drives for around $60, Plextors around $80,
and SCSI DVD drives under $100.  Any reason not to take this as an
oppertunity to upgrade?

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org