Interesting problem

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
02 Jun 2001 15:08:48 -0400

Mike Szumlinski <szumlins@msu.edu> writes:

> I just attempted to upload a very large file to my FreeBSD server and was
> awestruck to find that I was only getting about 40-50k/sec when everything
> is on a private 100mBit network.

Are you using a cheap network card?  Some of them don't do too
well at fast transfers.  Also, some network cards and switches,
even good ones, work fine on their own, but not with each other.

(In particular Linksys stuff kind of sucks in my experience.)
--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."