Linux ideas and recommendations

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
07 Jun 2001 12:39:41 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> My plan is to use Debian again, but I don't want to use 2.2 because
> it's already 10 months old... It looks like 2.3/3.0 is in "testing",
> which from what I can tell should be fairly stable, so I may go
> with that.  Any thoughts from the Debian developers?  =)

If you want something that will work, use stable.
If you want something that's more up-to-date, use testing.
If you want something bleeding edge but will still work most of
the time, use unstable.
I use unstable.

> Any recommendations on things I should go out of my way to make
> sure I install or setup?  I know most of it (I'm not *that* far
> out of the loop!), but I was wondering about cool Linux stuff that
> I'm sure I overlooked because it didn't run under FreeBSD, or
> because I didn't need to run it before. One example of that is
> cdparanoia, which is great for ripping CD's in Linux, but doesn't
> work for FreeBSD, so I haven't kept track of it much recently.

I'm using Grip as I write this, which calls cdparanoia to rip CDs
to WAVs as I insert them, then calls oggenc to encode them in Ogg
Vorbis format, then deletes the WAVs, then ejects the CD.  Works
perfectly.  I have almost all of my Nine Inch Nails CDs as .ogg's
now...

> Another would be a DVD player, since I haven't tried getting that
> to work in FreeBSD or Linux before (though DPK mentioned one that
> I'll take a look at).

There are a few of these.  I've used the one from
linuxvideo.org.  Just add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
and do `apt-get install oms-omi':
	deb http://linuxvideo.org/oms/data/debian ./

> OK, enough questions now... until I think of another one anyways...
> ;)

Geez, Ed, I'm on campus most weekdays, we should just have lunch
sometime.

--
"ATM, I'm expecting Vol. 4 to come out before I die, but I
 confidently expect that Vols. 5-7 will be written by Knuth's