Hibernation options on laptops

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:17:09 -0400

Quoted from Edward Glowacki on Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:06:45PM -0400:
> So I'm trying to resize my suspend to disk partition, right?  Turns
> out I need to allocate between 1.5 and 1.8Gb (!!!!!!) in order to
> have a suspend-to-disk partition!  Frankly, that seems like a waste
> of space!

Wow, phdisk.exe is piece of CRAP!    I now have a "Partition size:
1783215K bytes total".  This was created using their specified
"minimum" value, which was a number one character longer than would
fit in their fixed-width field, leading to great confusion as to
why their "minimum value" wasn't acceptable...  And of course
there's the issue of needing to dedicate approximately 10x the
amount of space to the suspend-to-disk partition than I have actual
physical RAM...

So we have a new plan of attack, since it's now 8pm and I still
have nothing but a freshly fdisked, currently blank 20gb hard
disk...  Install linux on a partition at the *end* of the disk,
leaving the beginning of the disk free.  Then use the Linux version
of phdisk (lphdisk is the name of it) to recreate it, or perhaps
have Windows manage its own suspend-to-disk and try out swsusp for
linux suspend-to-disk.  Either way, I'm sick of fighting with it... =P

--
Edward Glowacki				glowack2@msu.edu
GLLUG Peon  				http://www.gllug.org