7700 packages...

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
11 Jun 2001 22:14:05 -0400

"Marcel Kunath" <kunathma@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> oh yeah? How do you change the console mode?

The easiest way is to do it from the boot-loader.  Some modes can
be configured by just setting `vga=MODENUM' in, e.g.,
/etc/lilo.conf.  This does need kernel support (you have to
enable the feature when the kernel is compiled) but it's enabled
in most stock distribution kernels.

Other, more unusual modes can only be configured if you have a
kernel framebuffer driver for your video card.  I use the vesafb
driver with my card and it works just great.  (I may switch to
atyfb, specifically written for ATI Rage cards, whenever it gets
to the point that it actually works.)

You can get a list of (some of the) available modes at boot by
putting vga=ask in your boot-loader config file or command line.

Here's my /etc/lilo.conf just for the helluvit:

     boot=/dev/hda
     root=/dev/hda1
     install=/boot/boot-menu.b
     delay=20
     map=/boot/map
     lba32
     read-only
-->  vga=773
     image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5-pre1
	 label=2.4.5-pre1
     image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19
	 label=2.2.19

(No, the arrow and the indenting are not part of it.)
--
"Then, I came to my senses, and slunk away, hoping no one overheard my
 thinking."