[XFree86 colormap problem]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
12 Jun 2001 16:15:04 EDT

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> wrote:
> I'm well on my way to being a happy camper today... just got sound
> working on the laptop under FreeBSD! =)  I have a problem with XMMS
> though... it wants to use its own color map, which makes it look
> really horrible when it's not focused.   Any suggestions on how to
> fix this?

Run X in something other than 8-bit color, of course.  8-bit looks butt-ugly
even in the best of cases, anyway.  Almost anything available now should be
capable of handling 16-bit color, including laptops (my 4-year-old Thinkpad
380D could hack 16-bit, after all.)  Modifying your XF86Config to say
"DefaultColorDepth 16" in the right spot should be all that it takes.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
"I backed up my brain to tape, but tar says the tape contains no data...."