question for perl programmers

Mike Rambo mrambo@lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:09:52 -0400

I'm using Jarl which is a Perl/TK app for communicating with jabber
servers. Jabber is a cross-service (aim, msn, yahoo, icq, irc) IM
server.

The only fault I find with Jarl is that it doesn't make enough noise
when a message comes in to get my attention. With the most recent
version it has had the system bell added using the code listed below. On
my machine though, the system bell is little more than a click -
certainly not enough to notice if I'm busy working on something.

Is there a way to modify this Perl script (and I can attach the entire
file if it is needed) so as to make more noise? I know that both KDE and
Gnome have system sounds available and I wonder if it isn't possible to
even invoke a .wav file player to play a short clip to serve this
purpose. Any idea's?

His subroutine for the system bell is short and is thus:

sub jarlMainIF_AlertUser {
  $GUI{top}->bell();
}

Many thanks.