This Sundays meeting

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:16:02 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry that I have been so quiet about the meeting this Sunday.  I
have a bad cold and missed two days of work.  I have not spent
much time on the old Linux box lately.

I have been meaning to talk to the group about meetings over the
summer for some time now.

Here are three items in cronological order:

1)  This Sunday.  I am happy to meet this sunday.  5 - 7 PM

I'll talk about my recent trip to the SANS [1] Security
conference in Baltimore.

*If you intend to come to this Sundays meeting please reply.*

There is a NEW meeting location.  It is the community room in the
Lansing Police Departments South Precint office at the SW corner
of Cedar and Holmes.  Go in the front door, down the steps to
your left and then turn right, first door on left.  (there also
is a desk person to guid you)

Lets try this location out.  Its free for the club to use.  Its
neutral turf (Roger and I are not required to be there for the
meeting to still take place).  Its more centrally located (but
not by a whole lot.)

(James Dooley: please update the website for the new location and
topic)

B) [2]
I also have the room scheduled for July 15th from 1 to 5pm.  This
could be a good date for an installfest.  Ideas?

DPK: want to do the PERL thing on this date?

Maybe we could do Pizza at Pizza Hut down the road afterward.

iii) Future of GLLUG meetings:

(I want to stir up some discussion here)

I think we should consider disbanding meatspace[3] meetings
altogether.  For the last year or so they have been suite
disappointing to me.  Attendance has declined steadily for the
last few months and we often have really hard times picking a
date/time/location that makes even a few happy.

I propose that we try to setup some kind of effective cyberspace
meeting method instead.

Comments?

Your Humble Servant and GLLUG Pres,
-Mark

[1] SANS: System Administration and Network Security -
http://www.sans.org

[2] I get my numbering scheme from Click & Clack
http://cartalk.cars.com/About

[3] http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/meatspace.html