tape question

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:21:29 -0400

I have an old tape made by Arcserve of an NT system that is long
gone.  Turns out that I need to get a file back frm the tape.  I
can read the tape to disk using dd and the raw contents look
fine.  I don't have the software anymore, don't even remember
what version it is.  Anybody know if there is a Linux tool that
can read Arcserve tape formats?

Only Arcserve/ArcserveIT can read Arcserve backups.  The good news is that
as long as it's a 5.5x or newer archive, anybody with ArcserveIT 2000
should be able to merge the tape and restore files from it.

Not that it helps you now, but Veritas NetBackup and BackupExec both use
tar formats, so you can take any tape that was created with a Veritas
product and read its contents from any *IX system (providing that no data
security algorithms will do).

PaulM