CVS

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
27 Jun 2001 17:10:18 -0400

Edward Glowacki <glowack2@msu.edu> writes:

> My next challenge is to figure out how to do this modularly enough
> so that you can add additional backends that might be foreign enough
> to actually work differently.  rsync and CVS are pretty similar as
> far as their capabilities and the fact that you can do something
> like setup a module config where "QUIET=--quiet" (for rsync), but
> what if to make it quiet you need to do something like
>
> "command >>/tmp/logfile"
>
> or something strange like that, how do you specify that in a config
> file that expects variables?

Three possibilities occur to me:

1. You can write a wrapper script for the program that fits the
   expected format.

2. You can invent a global configuration format that specifies
   capabilities of each additional program along with the
   associated variables and their effects.

3. You can have the user write an additional plug-in module to
   use additional tools.

--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@msu.edu> <pfaffben@debian.org> <blp@gnu.org>
MSU Graduate - Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer - GNU Developer