Where do I begin? Basic Linux

Keyes, Randall randall.keyes@jnli.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:03:43 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0A739.5471B94C

I don't believe that it was PnP---I think it's about 4 years old, maybe 5.
I inherited the wife's old PC when she upgraded to an AMD 950.  I have no
idea why they put 2 meg of RAM on that thing---only that when we looked it
up a couple of years ago trying to find an updated driver that Diamond told
us to use the driver for the modem with 2 meg of RAM rather than the one
with 1 meg.

My wife's the gamer, I'm just trying to learn what I can for my employer.

Randy Keyes
Network Services, JNL
randall.keyes@jnli.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Pfaff [mailto:pfaffben@msu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 1:55 PM
To: Keyes, Randall
Cc: linux-user@egr.msu.edu
Subject: Re: Where do I begin? Basic Linux

"Keyes, Randall" <randall.keyes@jnli.com> writes:

> It's an "old" Diamond ISA 56k internal---sportster 56si with 2Mb RAM on
the
> card, I believe.  Not a winmodem.

Is it PnP?  If so you either need to tell your BIOS to set it up
(by setting anything labeled "PnP aware OS" or similar to "no")
or set up isapnptools (or use kernel 2.4).

BTW why would a modem have 2 MB of RAM, or even 2 Mb?
--
"MONO - Monochrome Emulation
 This field is used to store your favorite bit."

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0A739.5471B94C

RE: Where do I begin?  Basic Linux