Winds of Change?

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:20:57 -0500

In my last post to the "grad school / openbsd / editors" thread,
I mentioned that I don't feel I've been doing a whole lot of
"Presidenting" lately (i.e. promoting the LUG, setting up presentations,
planning the Installfest we were going to do 6 months ago, etc.).
Honestly, I just don't think I have the motivation to do it.  I
like Linux and all, but after sitting in front of it (FreeBSD
actually, but you get the idea) for 40hours/week and then spending
more time trying to get shmget, sem_post, pthread_create, and pipes
to work together to sort an array of numbers for my CSE class, I
really don't have any desire to think about Linux, Unix, or PC's
in my "free" time.  I still think about free *nix in terms of making
an MP3 (or OGG) player for my car for example, but like most things for me,
Linux/FreeBSD is a tool to do something, it's part of a much larger
project, not an ends in itself.

In light of all this, I think the LUG might be best served by electing
a new president.

Keep in mind that I'm not giving up on Linux, I'm not abandoning
the LUG and moving away to Ohio *ahem!* (heheh, sorry Alan!  Couldn't
resist! ;)  ), and I'm still going to be extolling the virtues of
FreeBSD on the mailing list. ;)  I just think that if the LUG is
to grow, or at least not shrink, we could use a slightly more
proactive, dedicated leader.  =)

Hmm... definately not what I had in mind when I woke up this morning,
but you never know what any given day will bring...

So, without further rambling, I nominate Mark Szidik for Prez!  He's
always been a good contributor to helping out the group, and I
personally want to thank him for graciously hosting meetings at
MLC.  On a slight tangent, I also want to thank Roger Webster for
graciously hosting meetings at AAI.  Without these two and their
generosity, meeting announcements would run something like this,
"Meeting Wednesday, 2am, under the bridge at Kalamazoo St. and 127"
and "Installfest, Saturday at Potter Park.  Bring your own
electricity."

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University