grad school / openbsd / editors

Mark Szidik szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:30:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Keyes, Randall wrote:

> Sounds like fun.  I just wondered.
>
> I have a Bachelors in Education,

Thats great.  I personally always welcome anyone from any career
background into the IT profession.  One of the managers I admired most
was an English major, he ran the entire computing department at SVSU.

> but my Microsoft Certification and
> experience held more weight with my current employer than others with
> computer degrees.  EDS seemed to be the same way.  That's why I wondered
> what the experience of others was.

Randall, this is starting to look like a rant, so please don't think
this is directed at you.

<rant> Thats probably because they are looking at these positions in a
'widget' fashion.  Management is thinking:  Its real hard to interview
people and even harder to determine if they are smart and can do the job
needed.  So they get lazy and just look for the four letters at the end
of the name.

I have degrees in Accounting and Computer Information Systems.  I have
chosen IT as a career and consider myself a professional.  Not unlike a
teacher, lawyer, accountant or a doctor.  All of which have professional
certifications.  They dont have certifications on how to operate the
j2150 adding machine, they certify on depth of knowledge and critical
thinking skills. The only IT certification that comes close to
professional certification is the ICCP. (Which I may do someday.)

The problem that I personally have with the MSCE, etc. certs is that
they are vendor specific and are more like trade school, such
as a certification how to operate the X11-b14 widget maker.  Thats great
if thats all a person wants to do.  I, as a professional, am interested
in the bigger picture. I am interested in answering the following:

How do I apply IT concepts and resources that best meet the needs of my
employer in an efficient and cost-effective manner?

I don't think a CNE, etc. certification would be very helpful.
</rant>

Whew, I guess this one has been  brewing for a while.   Last year
there was a huge discussion on this topic on the SAGE (System Admins.
Guild) mailing list.  Guess I never got over it.  I hope I have now.

-Mark