Linux Laptop

Ben Pfaff pfaffben@msu.edu
13 Mar 2001 09:45:46 -0500

Dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu> writes:

>     - Pentium III 700 MHz

[...]

> The only downfall that does bother me is it will not run at full speed
> (runs at 550 MHz) when booted off the battery, despite the BIOS
> settings telling it to do otherwise.  Could be fixable, but I haven't
> investigated any further.

This is probably the problem that's been discussed on the
linux-kernel list.  Intel refuses to give out information on
their "SpeedStep" technology, so the kernel can't set the CPU
speed.  Someone will surely reverse-engineer it eventually, but
not yet I guess.
--
"You know, they probably have special dorms for people like us."
--American Pie