SuSe and Compaq

Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com Paul_Melson@keykertusa.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 08:15:26 -0500

Yeah, Compaq bought DEC in 1998 (late '97?).  Compaq had been doing a lot
with RedHat both on
the Intel and Alpha side, including SmartStart kits for RedHat for their
servers.  That's what I found so
surprising about their buy-in to SuSE.  But I guess after reading the
article that it's maybe more of an
industry bail-out/co-op thing, since SGI also bought in - all of this at a
time when SuSE's stock is on a
downturn and its US operations are laying people off.  Compaq may have
simply decided that it wants
to diversify its interests in the Linux market instead of putting all of
its proverbial eggs in RedHat's
basket.

PaulM

Doesn't Compaq own digital?  Perhaps there plans will change.

Randy Keyes
Network Services, JNL
randall.keyes@jnli.com