DHCP

Edward Glowacki glowack2@msu.edu
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:31:15 -0500

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 12:20:53PM -0500, Scott Overfield wrote:
>  a newbie question, i know but here goes....is there any advantage to using
> DHCP for a small (40 user) network with a private address space?

DHCP makes it extremely easy to add new machines, just set them to
use DHCP and all the network settings take care of themselves
(netmask, DNS servers, etc.).  If you later change things, i.e.
move to a direct internet connection, route through a firewall,
etc. you only have to change the information the server sends
out instead of running around and touching all 40 clients.
I'd say if you can get the DHCP server set up, go for it.

--
Edward Glowacki			glowack2@msu.edu
Michigan State University