[Sound card]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows@usa.net
23 Mar 2001 10:50:33 EST

Mark Szidik <szidikm@mlc.lib.mi.us> wrote:

> I want to retire my ancient SoundMan 16 ISA sound card with a cheap
> (like $25 or less) PCI card that is supported in Linux.  Any
> recommendtaions?

The card I've been recommending for this sort of thing is the Ensoniq
AudioPCI, otherwise known as the Soundblaster-128 PCI.  I paid $30 for one of
these in January 2000, so you can probably find one for $25 now!  This card
should use the es1371 module (included with every distro, trivial to compile
if you build your own kernel.)

The only problem with this is that the newest cards have slightly different
firmware than the older models, so if you buy one of these off the shelf, you
might need a 2.2.18 kernel for sound to work.  Also, there is no hardware MIDI
for this card--get "timidity" and you'll be OK wrt MIDI.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
There is no Darkness in Eternity